Friday, July 22, 2011

Midnight Misery

I am posting this event, only with Brinkley’s permission. Last night near the end of the rodeo she told me, “My stomach is all twisted up, not like I’m sick, but like I did something bad and haven’t told you about it.” Oh, boy! First let me say, Brinkley is our confessor. She has a conscience the size of Texas and confesses any unkind deed or thought that ever enters her head. Sometimes she gets on a roll and I think that if I hear one more confession I’ll have to slit my wrists. It’s stuff like this: “Sometimes I say the word crap!” “Sometimes, when you get mad at me, it makes me really mad.” “One time, when I was little, I thought that I might want to wear a bikini when I get older even though it’s immodest”. Holy crow! Really? Just keep it to yourself sista!

So, anyway, during the fireworks last night, she tells me this about her stomach. I asked if there was anything she’d done that she need to tell us about, and she said no, not unless she meant to, and now she forgot. Well, that was that.

It was late when we got back to camp and pretty much went straight to bed. Well, at 3am, Kev and I were waked from a deep sleep by Brinkley. Her stomach was hurting bad. She was crying, clearly in pain. Of course, me, being the great mother I am, instead of wondering if she is OK, the first thing I think is, “I hope this doesn’t cost us anything because we’re in between insurance plans right now.” If you’ve never been there, I’m telling you, it’s stressful! So, she lies down in bed with us and Kev starts poking her stomach and asking questions, trying to figure out what the problem could be. Luckily it wasn’t her right side, which means Appendix, right? Anyway, long story short, we finally decided that she was constipated. Bad! Like it had possibly been 5 or 6 days since her last session. Holy cow! And though I keep a well stocked medicine cabinet in my camper, two things I do NOT stock are enemas or suppositories. So, bless Kevin’s heart, he gets up at 4:00 in the morning and heads out. There’s nothing open in Kamas, so he heads on to Park City. Then he can’t find anything open in Park City, so he heads back to Heber. Finally, he finds an open grocery store, makes his purchases and gets back close to 6am. By 7am Brinkley is feeling much better, he naps for an hour and then heads out to work. And me, of course I got to sleep until 11am! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment