Sunday, July 6, 2014

We’re Back . . .And So Am I

Well, we arrived at the Camperworld in Woodland tonight and once we got here and settled a little, I told Kev, “It’s good to be back,” and his reply was, “Yeah, it feels like home”. 

I hope I’ll go back and catch up from last year, but just in case I don’t, we still camped last year, but one, I didn’t blog about it, and two, it wasn’t much of our traditional camping.  We had planned a family vacation to Northern California for the end of June.  It got pushed to the beginning of July because of problems with Kevin’s work (he got laid off, boo! But that’s a whole other story).  While in Cali we stayed in a hotel a few nights but also spent two nights camping right on the beach in a tent, which was really really fun. 

We got home from that and just a few days later left to camp at Camperworld.  We had decided to start in Coalville, spending a week there and then moving on to Woodland, which is our favorite.   In the middle of our week in Coalville, a friend and neighbor emailed and said, “Hey!  At the end of the month we’re going to camp on the beach in Carlsbad, California.  The campsite is paid for.  We’d love to have you join us.”  My first reaction was no way.  Kev was out of work.  Then I started thinking that realistically, if he had a job, we couldn’t go because he couldn’t’ get the time off.  The more we thought about it the better it sounded.  I’m the queen of frugal.  If the site was paid for then all we had was gas, food, and a few minor expenses.  So, we went.  It was glorious.  We had the BEST time.  I hope I’ve written about it because we LOVED it and hope to go again next summer. 

That trip though, cut our Camperworlding short.  We up just staying 10 days in Coalville and then went home to get ready for Carlsbad. 

But we’re here now and starting in good old Woodland, so if something is cut short, we won’t miss out on our favorite.  We’re actually on our longest adventure ever.  We’re staying one week in Woodland, one week in Coalville, then coming back to Woodland for the week of July 24th.  Kamas has fun 24th of July festivities and we don’t’ like to miss them.  Kev will go back and forth some and work and take care of our house and garden as usual.  He’s so great.

Camperworld has had its own problems as of late.  I don’t want to go into it too much, but they almost closed down, asked it’s members for a bunch of money to keep things going, lost a bunch of members, closed the pools for the summer, etc.  We spent a lot of time thinking about it in the spring trying to decide if we were going to stay with them.  We thought, we prayed, we talked.  We went back and forth.  No, let’s leave and camp on our own.  No, let’s stay.  As you can see, we ended up deciding to stay for at least now.  I can’t imagine that Camperworld is going to make it long-term.  Finances are just too much of a mess.  Lawsuits, dishonesty by the board.  I would almost be relieved if they just closed down.  But if they stay open, I can hardly stand the thought of them going on without us.  So, here we are.  And now that we’re here.  We’re happy about it.
OK – blah, blah, blah.  One more word about blogging before I close up for the night.  Someone asked me over the winter if I’d given up blogging or if I’d given up camping.  I assured him that I had NOT given up camping, but had real mixed feelings about blogging. Blogging takes up a lot of my time while camping.  I know realistically all I have is time while camping, which is why I love it.  I really try to limit time I spend on electronics though.  A big part of camping is the escape from Facebook, email and the phone.  WiFi up here sucks and I spend a lot of time typing and then trying to upload pictures and editing and typing and stuff.  I hate that.  Because of course in between waiting for things to load I’m checking FB and email and everything else, and my kids are saying, “Can’t we go to the pool.  Can’t we play a game.” And I’m like, “No, obviously my computer is more important.”  After giving a lesson in Primary however on journaling I can see the real value in writing these experiences.  I’ve decided that this year I’m going to try and type up the entries while camping, as I would a regular journal.  Then when I get home with a better computer and better WiFi, I’ll try uploading them.  We’ll see how that works. 

So, sleep well.  I sure will.  There is definitely something about this mountain air and my camper cocoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment