Thursday, September 1, 2011

Labor Day Weekend - Yes! My Kids are Missing School

After almost a month’s hiatus, we’re back again and it feels good.  I’ve missed this place.  There have been a lot of changes at the Woodland Camperworld this summer, with a change in park managers.  We truly loved the old managers and felt that they maintained the park meticulously and with a very homey feel.  The new park managers don’t seem to be quite as particular or industrious, are a little cool and immediately started instigating changes that don’t necessarily seem to be in the park’s or the member's best interests.  I mean if it aint broke, don’t fix it, right?  So every time I leave and then return, it’s with a bit of trepidation.  I’m nervous about visible changes that I might see.  Once we get here though and get settled, it still feels like home.
When I told people we were heading up last night, I got a lot of, “What are you doing about the girls?  Are you taking them out of school?”  People seem surprised that I’d take them out for 2 days in the 2nd week.  I don’t know why.  They’re smart.  What’s a two day absence to two smarty pants like Brinkley and Lily?  Plus, I have to be able to take my kids out of school for things that I deem are important, like an occasional trip to Grandmas, the Festival of Trees, and above all, camping.  I have to camp.  And I’ve gotten so spoiled that a two or even three day weekend seems like a lot of effort for too short of an amount of time.  Their teachers should feel lucky that I’ve limited it to two days, instead of a whole week!
Besides, they’re not going to learn anything in school that is more important than what they experience up here.  Even after spending almost every day together for the past 7 years, they still can’t get enough of each other.  And that friendship is priceless and nurturing it is of utmost importance.    Today they also swam and rescued bugs from the pool, thoroughly examining each variety before delivering them safely to the grass.  They flew a kite and learned about the direction of the wind and how that can either lift the kite or slam it into the grass.  And they had plenty of home economics time, each in their own secret club house, picking berries and collecting other leaves and twigs to make their infamous Poo Stew.  And don’t worry.  For those deeply troubled by the flippant way I talk about the quality state offered education, they also spent a little time this morning reading, practicing sight words, and doing some work sheets that I requested that their teachers send home with them.  See, I’m a responsible mom after all.
Lily, catching air.

Brinks has it!
Modeling the super-cool Avatar kite she won during Wharton Wars at Family Camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment