Sunday, October 23, 2011

Campfires

Another confession . . .I hate campfires.  The smell, the bother, helping little kids roast stuff.  What a pain!!  When Kev is here, being the pyro he is, he builds them, minds them and even does most of the roasting for the girls because he's such an expert.  But truth be told, he's NOT here most of the time.  Mostly it's just me, so I have to deal with it.  Luckily, we camp so much that the girls don't ask for one every night.  When we're up here for a week or more, we mostly reserve them for the weekend.  This trip, I told them that we'd have a fire 2 out of the 4 nights we were here.  We did have one on Friday and we were going to have one last night, but I lured them away from that idea with the promise of dinner in front of a movie, plus popcorn.  What kind of a mom am I?  Tempting my kids out of the fresh air and great outdoors, into a camper to sit and watch movies and eat.  I'll tell you what kind - smart! 

Oh, and want a tip on what NOT to buy in an effort make the whole experience a little less painful?  Giant Roasters Campfire Marshmallows, that's what.  Have you ever had them?  My kids have been begging for them, since they were introduced last season, but I've never brought them.  I broke down this time though because they were on sale for $1.99, so I thought we'd give them a try.  What a big freaking, disgusting mess they turned out to be!  They are just too dang big.  Too big for s'mores, and when you try to roast them they don't melt all the way through.  If you want to sit there and peel them off layer by layer, roasting as you go, they work, but that's really your only option.  And even then the kids end up a big sticky mess (way worse than usual) when it's all over.

Campfires are a pain.  Will I try to get out of them using movies and popcorn and candy and any other means I can think of?  You bet I will, and not feel a bit guilty in the process!
Brinks, Lils and New Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment